It all started with a school assignment. We had to draw characters out of paint blobs. I made a sketch of something that looked like an ant. I drew a handkerchief around his neck which I thought was a good idea for a storyline.
I imagined the handkerchief to be a gum wrapper that the "token-ant" received from a very large, but friendly sow bug called Peter Pissebed (pissebed is Dutch for sow bug).
Gompie's parents are the king and queen of the token-ant city. He has 100 brothers and sisters, but he was the 101st one, which meant that his parents didn't have a high class token for him to get his name from. His parents don't accept Gompie because a gum wrapper (which is seen as trash) is something that is worn by the poor.
(I tried to make a more detailed version, but after losing the source files, I found out that I messed up the layer order)


At first, I called the token-ant "Gummie" because of his gum wrapper, but then the teacher told me that gummie means condom in German, so I changed the name to the safer name "Gompie".
At one point, I changed his color from green to a certain shade of yellow, which is my favourite color and seemed to match more with the red wrapper.
I redesigned Gompie to make him easier to animate, but because his neck was quite short, I tied the wrapper around his head.
I gave him a bit more flat shading, removed his knee and elbow caps and gave his neck the same color as his arms and legs.
I also tried to give him some different emotions, to see how they would make him look.
We had to make a 3D model of our character with the help of a reference picture. I used the next picture as a reference for making that 3D modeled version of Gompie.
After only one failed attempt, I made this 3d model of Gompie's Torso based on the reference from before.
I realized that I couldn't make Gompie's model look like I wanted it to look, because it was too detailed. I then tried to get a 3DSMax CAT Rig to look like Gompie to use as a reference for my assignment.
After deciding to use a different concept for my assignment, time passed for a little while until I decided to use the rigged model of Gompie (with a different color palette) for another school assignment. I textured his face too, which wasn't too difficult as it was just a cube.
Back to Top